RebulzFood Q&A With Jodie Connor
1. What were your musical influences growing up and how do they influence your music today?
As a child my mum played a lot of soul and reggae music … I used to listen to Randy Crawford, Luther Vandross, Gregory Issac, Bob Marley etc. As I grew older I started to buy my own music and listen to Michael and Janet Jackson, R Kelly, Brandy etc. I still listen to these artists today and they inspire me to do better.
2. What was your best lesson learnt from your time on Pop Idol?
I think it was that I had to be more confident and push myself more. The music industry is tough.
3. What affect does being on a major label have on your musical style?
I think it just means there are a lot more people involved in what you do, the music you make, the way you present yourself. I think it had advantages and disadvantages.
4. Do you have any international ambitions with your music?
Not at the moment for myself as an artist but definitely as a songwriter. I have had cuts in different territories but I will always want more! Haha.
5. Name 5 songs that you can relate to?
Oh wow 5 … Ok I’ll try, you’ve put me on the spot now
1) Fading - Rihanna
2) Almost doesn’t count - Brandy
3) Missing you - Case
4) One Love - Bob Marley
5) So amazing - Luther Vandross
The list is actually endless depending on my mood lol
Jodie Connor’s new single ‘Red Lights’ is out now!